Lung cancer awareness month November 2023
Cancer that’s diagnosed at an early stage, before it’s had the chance to get too big or spread, is more likely to be treated successfully.
November is lung cancer awareness month, and we urge anyone experiencing these symptoms to speak to their doctor.
The symptoms of lung cancer can include:
- a cough for 3 weeks or more
- a change in a cough you have had for a long time
- a chest infection that does not get better, or repeated chest infections
- feeling breathless and wheezy for no reason
- coughing up blood
- chest or shoulder pain that does not get better
- a hoarse voice for 3 weeks or more.
If you have any of these symptoms, it is important to get them checked by your Doctor.
Targeted Lung Health Checks
This is a good opportunity to share an exciting, targeted screening programme. Kent & Medway Cancer Alliance were chosen by NHS England as one of the phase 3 pilot sites. The Marsh Primary Care Network (4 GP surgeries) are being invited as part of this pilot. Invitations will go out later in the year/early 2024. Targeted lung health checks act as a screening programme at an early stage.
Cancer screening is a test that looks for early signs of cancer in people without symptoms.
Patients aged 55-74 who have ever smoked are eligible for the programme. Patients will also be given the offer of stop smoking support and other health improvement advice. We encourage anyone who is invited to accept the offer even if:
- people think they don’t need the check up because they feel fine.
- are too frightened to find out if they have lung cancer and are under the belief that nothing can be done to successfully treat the disease.
Lung cancer may not always have symptoms early on but if you do have any symptoms at the top of this article do not wait for screening, please contact your GP.
- Visit the NHS website
- Visit the Roycastle Lung Foundation
- Visit Macmillan Cancer Support
- Visit Cancer Research UK
Published: Nov 10, 2023
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.